:: Print This Website ::
:: Contact Twin Rivers Ranch ::

Items To Bring

Recommended Clothing

They say, "If you don't like the current weather conditions in Montana, wait an hour!" With that being said, layered clothing is optimal. You will need to be prepared for both warm and cold temperatures, as well as rain. Your basic items should include an insulated jacket, polar fleece vest, lightweight rain slicker, hat, polarized sunglasses, water bottle and sunscreen. If you have your own gear such as waders, boots and vest, you should bring them.

Twin Rivers Ranch has a complete selection of rods, reels and vests available for rent as well as a great assortment of flies, line and gear that are optimal on our rivers for our specific fishing conditions. In the summertime, we often wade wet, wearing neoprene socks, lightweight quick dry pants and felt soled wading boots. If you are visiting in the spring or fall, for your comfort, you will need gore-tex or neoprene waders and felt soled boots. At Twin Rivers Ranch, we always encourage 'Catch & Release' fishing.

Book Now

The East Gallatin River
The West Gallatin River

We recommend a five to seven weight rod with a weight forward floating line. You may want a sink tip line for fishing streamers. Typically, seven to ten foot knotless, tapered, leaders are used with tippets of 3X, 4X and 5X.


We recommend a three to five weight rod with a weight forward floating line. Use knotless seven to ten foot tapered leaders with tippets of 4X to 6X.

Spring Creeks

A 3 or 4 weight rod with a weight forward floating line is optimal. Tapered leaders of 9 to 13 feet are common with tippets of 5X to 7X.


Contact us for our tying pattern suggestions and flies we use. Twin Rivers Ranch stocks a complete selection of dry flies, beadheads, nymphs and streamer patterns that have been especially selected and proven effective on our waters. In particular, be certain that your dry flies include Royal Wulffs, Humpies, Caddis, Parachute Adams, and Hoppers. Nymph patterns that are proven on our waters include Prince Nymphs, Pheasant Tails, Hare's Ears, Soft Hackles, Girdle Bugs and a Streamer assortment in Olive, White, Tan and Black.

Montana State Fishing License

To fish in Montana, most anglers need two licenses: a Conservation License and a Fishing License. The cost for a license is $15.00 for a two-day permit (you may purchase more than one 2-day license) or $60.00 for the season. We also recommend that you purchase a State Land Recreational Use Permit in order to access our exclusive State Land that surrounds Twin Rivers Ranch.

We recommend you purchase your fishing license, hunting license(s) before you come: app.mt.gov/Als/Index


You will also need non-lead split shot, fly floatant, strike indicators, hemostats and nippers. Don't forget your hat, polarized glasses, insect repellent, sunscreen, water bottle and a camera! Traveling light or forgot something? For your convenience, we have many of these items available for rent or purchase at Twin Rivers Ranch.

Book Now

Twin Rivers Ranch